Thursday, September 19, 2013

Fixing Ceramic Tile Chips for $5

For all of you out there that have lived with builder grade ceramic tile floors…this tip is for you. We built our first home and waiting for a year and half for it to be finished. We selected all the materials and upgraded many things but our tile floor was not one of them. After we sold that house and moved into our current house, I concluded the previous owners who built this house, did the exact same thing.
We have basic creamy colored ceramic throughout our kitchen and mud room. Unfortunately, in our situation, builder grade materials meant cheap ceramic was used. We are pretty careful and do try to avoid dropping things on the ceramic (obviously no one wants to drop anything on ceramic floor!) but we have noticed over time little chips have been appearing. You might ask how we noticed these chips...well they look like dirt spots. Since my floors tend to be dirty on most occasions, these spots were very noticeable.
Since I am in no position to tear out all the flooring, let alone the damaged tiles, I needed to find a solution to combat my ever growing ceramic tile chip population. What did I come up with? Porcelain chip repair paint!!! In Canada we have a product called Porc-A-Fix. 
I am not sure if you all have it in the US, but I know Rustoleum makes a very similar product. What is it is a really small bottle of paint (similar to nail polish) that is used to touch up appliances, sinks and bathtubs. It comes in a variety of colors, so chance are you can find the one that is pretty close to your floor color. At under $5 per bottle, it was worth it for me to give it a try.
My floor color varies between cream, taupe, beige so I was went with the bone color. I tested the color on a spare tile I had in the garage that the builder left behind and since my floor has a variance in color, I really was able to hide the repaired chips very well.
It was very easy to do since the paint comes with a little mini brush in the bottle. Simply paint it over the chip and let it dry. This paint tends to have a gloss to it, so I applied it a bit at a time to avoid a really shiny spot. I also ran a fine grit sandpaper over the painted spot when the paint dried to scuff it a bit to cut down the sheen.
Here is my after:
To be honest I don’t even see them anymore when I am standing. If I get down on the floor or look very closely I can see the spots. Keep in mind that you might not get an absolute perfect match, but in my opinion, if you get pretty close to your floor color, it is far better than a light tile with large black spot on it.
Here is the before and after again. Before:
Much better! The best part is this is permanent and will withstand my infrequent washings :)

Do any of you have chipped ceramic tile? How have you addressed this problem?


  1. So, this morning I wake up and take my 3 year old potty. I go to wipe a spot off my floor and it's a freaking chip. I have been stewing about it all morning. I almost tried to color match some nude nail polish just to cover it up. Then I look at my blog roll and low and behold you have this post. Amazing!

    Thank you so much!

  2. ooh, did not know they made this- thanks a bunch!

  3. Hi, how nice your services. I am very interested that. More services you are provided to us and personal thanks for that. I like your services. I am happy for your Marble tile de Flooring tile dealersalers and we are satisfied of our services. Nice site about flooring tile dealers and you are work professionally. For more about Flooring Tile Dealers

  4. Great idea! This is the first time I have seen this tip. Thanks for sharing...

  5. Great Idea! Thanks for sharing. It was helpful....

  6. Hello can you tell me if this product available in Australia?

  7. Yes this is really a fantastic idea. I hope everyone likes this idea the way you gave your suggestion is very nice thank you for sharing this blog.

  8. Wow! This product seems like a good thing to have to tile repair! It fills up all the chips and holes in your tiles, not to mention they also make them look brand new. Anyway, I think it works best on matted or rough tiles. I’m afraid the paint would look noticeable on the glossy ones. What do you think?

    Nathan Riley @ Steemer Atlanta

  9. Good ideas! I like the way you express your idea and the topic you choose. Keep on your sharing! I appreciate it.

  10. It’s refreshing to read a good quality article for a change. You’ve made many interesting points and I agree. This has made me think and for that I thank you.
    Visit: Tiler Brighton & Hove

  11. Whenever selecting different types of ceramic floor good tile saw as well as porcelain floor tiles is extremely important that you get the proper form to suit your house as well as requires.

  12. Hi naturally like your web site however you have to test the spelling on quite a few of your posts. A number of them are rife with spelling issues and I to find it very bothersome to inform the reality on the other hand I’ll definitely come again again.
    Tiling Services Brighton & Hove

  13. Replies
    1. what does the last three posts got to do with a chipped tile,piss off spammer!!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips