This little light of mine...well not mine but my sister's

 

My sister is truly amazing.  When she told me about one of here most recent projects I kept thinking about that old show McGyver. You know...the guy who can make anything out of the most basic materials.

Here is how the story played out in my mind. My sister (a.k.a. McGyver) was given a challenge by her tween daughter to create a beautiful light for her bedroom.  McGyver was given one day and only a handful of materials to complete this challenge. Here is what she had to work with: Embroidery hoop, various beads in the tween's color of choice (sparkly white, purple and pink), thin gauge wire, an old lamp base and some spray paint.

You and I would look at this and laugh thinking there is no possible way...but my sister McGyver knew there was a way of doing it!
 McGyver spray painted the old lamp base Heirloom White and while it dried she started to work on creating a beaded shade. She strung a variety of colors and sized beads down one long piece of wire being sure to place a large bead at the bottom for weight.
This strand was then attached to the metal embroidery hoop by simply looping it around, making sure it was the length she wanted. McGyver repeated this step until the embroidery hoop looked 'full.' Then McGyver knew her tween would want some more bling, so she added some beads around the lip of the embroidery hoop.

Now that the shade was done, McGyver set out to create the ceiling light. She cut the plug off the end of the lamp and pulled the chord through the base. She drilled two holes in the base of the lamp so it could be hung onto a standard ceiling light fixture.

Using some more fine gauge wire, McGyver secured the new beaded shade onto the light base.

Another successful mission...McGyver wins again :)
Great job McGyver...oh sorry, I mean Carol!

Linking to some great parties including: Story of A2Z

Comments

  1. So clever, and beautiful. It must look so pretty lit up. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. How creative!!! This is so beautiful :) I am nw yur newest follower and I Hope you will follow me too- I look forward to your future blog posts :)

    http://sweetenedbykagi.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm thinking she has more talent than McGyver!

    This is so unique and makes such a huge impact on the ceiling. Thanks for linking this up to "Meet Me on Monday"

    Take care,
    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great for a little girls room

    ReplyDelete
  5. How pretty!! What a great job, and very creative!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is the pretties and cutest diy chandelier - must copy this into my girls room... if only I have McGyver...er..Coral to help me out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. lovely! I want to try something similar for a pair of sconces in my bathroom...

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is very unique idea. I have been planning on a ceiling fixture too. Have to give this a try. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. McGyver did a great job;) Love the colors she used too.
    ~Debra xxx
    Capers of the vintage vixens

    ReplyDelete
  10. That is so pretty! I've been wanting to try making my own chandelier since they can be pricey...so thank you (and your sister!) for the inspiration. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow what a great blog, i really enjoyed reading this, good luck in your work. Buy Roller Blinds

    ReplyDelete
  12. I discovered your blog site on google and check a few of your early posts. Continue to keep up the very good operate. I just additional up your RSS feed to my MSN News Reader. Seeking forward to reading more from you later on!…

    Visit Web
    Information
    Earlyretirementnow.com
    Information

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts