Saturday, August 4, 2012

F-ing Retirement Gift - Monogrammed Wine Glasses

Oh, my title just makes me laugh. You will see where it comes from as the post goes on. Nothing bad I promise.
A couple of months ago one of my biggest supporters for my blog decided to take a very early retirement. Kim is one of the nicest and funniest people you could ever know. Other than parents, I have not have not known anyone else to retire, so when it came to gift ideas I was stumped. As I always say, I knew I wanted her gift to be personal and something she could use but I had already made her the name art and the monogrammed tile, so I had to come up with something completely new.

After heading over to the amazingly inspiring Pottery Barn site, I decided on making monogrammed stemless wine glasses and marble tile coasters (I will share this simple gift idea tomorrow).
Source Pottery Barn
The Pottery Barn glasses are over $50 for 6, and I created mine for under $20 for 8. I purchased eight reasonably priced stemless wine glasses from a local home store so they can be for everyday use and no one has to worry about them breaking.

I tested out a few different initials on a old pickle jar just to ensure I had the right sizing and to see which design I liked the best. I knew I was saving all those jars for a reason. Hopefully now my husband can't say anything about the stash again. Are you the same... you look at jars and think "Oh I know there is something I can do with that in the future" and it hurts you to throw them in the recycling bin?

So here are the two 'F' designs I tried. Both fonts are Brock Script but one has a circle around it:

I liked them both, but I found the large circle to be a little heavy for wine glasses. I also find that with the etching cream, large surfaces don't seem to be consistently etched. It is hard to explain, but it looks like some of the areas are more etched. So I went with the scrolly F.  Do you see where the F-ing wine glass title came from.

I used vinyl cut with my Cricut to create the template to etch. If you don't have a machine to cut vinyl, you can do this with stickers or hand cut contact paper. I have in the past printed text and traced it with an exacto knife over contact paper to make my own.

If you can't get the vinyl to lay completely flat, use the technique described on my post for the NFL Beer Steins here.
I find it easiest to lay all the glasses out on a dish towel. This prevents the glasses from rolling around and the etching cream from running down.
Using a sponge brush, I apply the etching cream. I use a lot of etching cream! I really believe for this more is better. Be very, very careful not to get any one the outside of the stencil because it will start to etch immediately.
I leave the etching cream on for 20-25 minutes. I honestly do not know how long it is suppose to stay on because here in Canada, the back of the bottle with the instructions is covered by a million warning messages in two languages. It is funny.

For all of you who are cheap frugal like me, this is important to read: As recommended by a fellow blogger, I carefully remove the etching cream with my sponge brush and scrape it right back into the etching cream bottle! Yes, you heard that right...I reuse the etching cream!!!! I have been reusing this cream for months and have not seen a difference in the end result.
I then rinse the etching cream under water and remove the vinyl.
Once they were all washed and dried off, this is what they looked like:
Cute huh! I think this is going to be my 'go to gift' for Christmas this year!

What do you think? Would you like this as a gift?

Has anyone else made etched gifts?

Stephanie

41 comments:

  1. Ha Ha - loved the title too! I LOVE etching. I always think it will make a great gift. But then I forget to do it when it comes time for gift-giving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just stumbled across your great blog by googling "spray painting floor vents". What a find! I became a follower and subscribed by e-mail. :) I have a newer blog, I would love for you to hop over and visit me! We are replacing our first floor floors this weekend. UGH. I posted about it today. When we are done, I am spray-painting our vents thanks to your great tips!

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are fabulous! I bought a bottle of etching cream some time back but haven't gotten around to trying it out. Thanks for the great tip about saving the cream. I'm going to attempt a project tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This are so elegant! Makes an every day glass very special. Yes, these will make great Christmas gifts~ :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. What is the name of the font?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy, The font I used was Brock Script. Hope this helps.
      Stephanie

      Delete
  6. Those are really cute! I have a lot of friends buying houses recently and this would be a great gift. I wish I didn't have to cut them by hand though! Thanks for the tutorial. -Angela

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just wanted you to know I'm featuring your beautiful glasses on my Saturday favorites-Have a lovely day! Claire

    ReplyDelete
  8. Perfect, my mom is retiring in two weeks! What a great gift! Thanks for the idea. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love your site!

    My mom has used the same bottle of etching cream for as long as I can remember and the stuff works as well now as it did brand new!

    My dream is to own a Cricut or a similar machine; I have so many etching ideas but little patience for contact paper and exacto knives.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! This is a genius idea! Its important to make the person retiring feel special when they leave the office. A box of good quality cigars can do the trick as well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. After going over a handful of the blog posts on your web page, I
    really like your way of writing a blog. I saved it to
    my bookmark webpage list and will be checking back in the
    near future. Please check out my website as well and let me know how
    you feel.

    My web-site small business directories

    ReplyDelete
  12. magnificent post, very informative. I'm wondering why the opposite experts of this sector don't understand this.
    You should continue your writing. I am sure, you've a huge readers' base already!


    Also visit my blog - local white pages listings

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have made some decent points there. I checked on the net
    for more information about the issue and found most people will
    go along with your views on this site.

    my page; research paper writing

    ReplyDelete
  14. Every weekend i used to go to see this website, as i want enjoyment, for the reason that this this web site conations actually fastidious funny material too.


    My site ... North Carolina

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is really interesting, You are a very professional blogger.
    I've joined your rss feed and stay up for in the hunt for more of your excellent post. Additionally, I've shared your
    website in my social networks

    Also visit my page ... a local business

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hey there! Someone in my Myspace group shared this site with us so I came to check it
    out. I'm definitely enjoying the information. I'm
    book-marking and will be tweeting this to my followers!
    Great blog and great style and design.

    My web-site ... law essays

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am not in a position to view this website properly on chrome I believe there's a problem

    Also visit my web blog having trouble getting pregnant the third time

    ReplyDelete
  18. Simply desire to say your article is as astonishing.
    The clearness in your submit is just spectacular and that i can think you are knowledgeable in this subject.
    Fine with your permission allow me to clutch your feed to stay up to date
    with impending post. Thanks 1,000,000 and please
    carry on the rewarding work.

    Here is my weblog :: student film forums

    ReplyDelete
  19. It is not my first time to pay a visit this web site, i am visiting this
    web page dailly and get good information from here all the time.


    Also visit my website :: fix computer Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  20. Definitely imagine that which you said. Your favourite justification appeared to be on
    the web the simplest factor to take into accout of.

    I say to you, I definitely get irked at
    the same time as other folks think about worries that they
    plainly do not recognize about. You controlled to hit the nail upon the top as well as defined
    out the whole thing with no need side effect , people could take a signal.

    Will probably be again to get more. Thank you

    Look at my web blog pc repair Charlotte

    ReplyDelete
  21. Travelling to or moving to the occupied area of Paphos Car Hire on January 14 in
    the church of Agia Paraskevi, and its absence is likely to
    contain what's called Paphos Car Hire excess. It is also the downside that you have to nominate your second half or buddy if they're going
    with you, especially during the summer, Avis has been in operation since mid 1970s.
    From this website you can reserve your car in 3 easy steps.
    As part of the country. 90% of all large depositor accounts.


    Also visit my blog post: horizoncarhirepaphos598.blinkweb.com

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love Paphos Car Hire,
    especially Pafos. If you hire a wedding car is going to be any better.
    Another advantage of car hire networks? Yet another good way get hold of some great car
    rental deals, while others may set the age requirement around 23.
    Today, we will handle your bags, collect the fares once
    you're seated, and let us know more about the taxi service rounds 16-20 euros single.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I just like the valuable info you provide for your
    articles. I'll bookmark your blog and check once more right here frequently. I'm reasonably sure
    I will be informed lots of new stuff right right here! Best of luck for the following!


    Also visit my blog ... gaming t-shirts europe ()

    ReplyDelete
  24. I am sure this piece of writing has touched all the internet people, its
    really really good post on building up new web site.



    Also visit my weblog ... local company search

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi there, I found your website by the use of Google even as searching for a
    related matter, your web site got here up, it seems to be great.
    I've bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.
    Hello there, simply became alert to your blog via Google, and found that it is truly informative. I'm
    going to watch out for brussels. I'll appreciate in the event you proceed this in future. Many people can be benefited out of your writing. Cheers!

    my web page - directory - -

    ReplyDelete
  26. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Did you buy the design with the F and font already on it or did you pick them out with an exacto knife? I'm gathering info for my first etch craft and yours was the most helpful. I'm still curious about where people are able to get the fonts, quotes, and lettering other than the boring single font alphabet labels. Any suggestions would definitely help, Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
  28. I have etched glass for years and they make great gifts! I love these glasses though. Can you tell me where you got the Brock Script font?

    ReplyDelete
  29. Hey post . I Appreciate the analysis , Does someone know where my company could possibly get ahold of a fillable a form document to fill out ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Elie , my partner got a blank a form document with this link http://pdf.ac/9pBdce

      Delete
  30. Thank you for the good writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it.Look advanced to far added agreeable from you!
    Tableau Online Training

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips