Fall Pumpkin 4x4s - Decorating on a Dime

My husband went away a few weeks ago for a guys fishing weekend and while he was away I decided to spend the weekend doing crafts. Initially it was to be all Christmas crafts but I decided to throw some Fall items in too.  You know the adage, when the cats away, the mice will play....well in this house it is when Daddy's away, mommy will craft!
You might have seen in previous posts, I have a corner sink in my kitchen. I absolutely love the 4 windows that surround it but I have always had some difficulty deciding what to do on the large triangle shaped ledge behind it. How do I decorate the little nook? I have thought it might be nice to make that my seasonal decoration spot. In the summer I had herbs there, at Christmas I put my ornament tree and at Halloween I tend to put gourds.

I had a left over 4x4s from another craft, so I decided I would cut 1.5 inch  slices off the end of the 4x4 on my husband's miter saw. I have only used this a few times since he bought it so I had to work up a little nerve. So I put on the gorgeous safety glasses he left out for me (why can't they make some that actually fit my small head), plugged in the mighty machine and cut 4 slices of the 4x4. I was grinning from ear to ear after I was done. I ran inside and said to the kids "Look what Mommy just did!" They weren't nearly as excited as I was.
I lightly sanded the rough edges and I painted each piece with a mix of pumpkin orange and burnt umber acrylic paint.
I wanted a deep but not bright orange so this mixture worked well.
I had some large branches left over from the other craft involving the 4x4, so I cut them in 2-3 inch sections. I liked the ones cut on an angle the best.
I hammered in a long finishing nail (I think that is what they are called - the ones with no real head on them) appropriately half way.
 I then pulled the nail out of the 4x4.
I flipped the nail over and hammered the head of the nail into the hole I just made. I honestly don't know if this damages the head of the hammer, but I assumed it was ok. My husband hasn't said anything about it yet, so all is good.
I hammer the nail approximately halfway into the pilot hole.
I took the twig and lined the middle up with the nail.
Hammer the top of the twig until the other half of the nail goes into the twig.
Here are the 4 done. Aren't they cute? I like the ones with the knobs on the twig and the one on the angle. I roughly sanded along the edges with a low grit sandpaper to give it a worn weathered look.
I then cut out of vinyl the words Fall and Boo! on my Cricut. So on one side of the pumpkin it says Fall in white and the other side has Boo! in black. I like the idea I can put these somewhere you can see both sides.

I tied some raffia around the stems and made some curly ques with left over paper covered wire from making the wire pumpkins.
I am very please with how they turned out. The wood has started to dry and it has cracked on a couple of the edges making it look a little more rustic, I like that.

So since I had all the materials on hand, this project cost me nothing.

What do you think? Do you do seasonal decorating?

Stephanie

Comments

  1. These are so cute. Totally making these! (that is if my friend that has a Cricut isn't tired of me and my vinyl involved begging)

    ReplyDelete
  2. We LOVE to decorate for seasons! (I'm not really a big fan of Halloween so we keep it "harvest, fall, Thanksgiving)
    http://www.ourlilkingdom.com/2012/09/fall-projects-and-home-decor.html

    Stop by and see =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Where did the glass cloche come from? I love those things, but don't know where to get one! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Excellent blog right here! Also your web site rather a lot up fast!

    What host are you using? Can I am getting your associate
    hyperlink in your host? I desire my web site loaded up as fast as yours lol

    my page: how to sell house quickly

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice blog, it so gripping and communicative post. If you are facing any kind of problems associated with , Brother Printer Support, then you may go to our website or call us our Brother Printer Support . Thanks
    epson printer offline

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi guys good morning this a very Innovative post thank you good knowledge with us if you need any help related to Canon Printer Offline Error you can visit our website for the problem you are facing and get Solution
    canon printer offline

    ReplyDelete
  7. install epson printer
    here we give different sorts of administrations identified with Epson printer disconnected windows 10 administrations you are intrigued to take these administrations then you consider us our own client care number.thank you

    ReplyDelete
  8. It’s hard to find knowledgeable people on this topic, but you sound like you know what you’re talking about! Thanks

    Click Here
    Visit Web

    ReplyDelete
  9. Can I just say what a relief to find someone who actually knows what theyre talking about on the internet. You definitely know how to bring an issue to light and make it important. More people need to read this and understand this side of the story. I cant believe youre not more popular because you definitely have the gift.

    Mibotanicals.com
    Information
    Click Here
    Visit Web

    ReplyDelete
  10. I never found any interesting article like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. خرید ساندویچ پانل بدون واسطه مستقیم مرکز پانل
    بزرگ ترین مرجع فروش ساندویچ پانل در ایران
    ساندویچ پانل
    ساندویچ پانل قیمت

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts