Tuesday, October 26, 2010

DIY Burlap Box / Drawer

Do any of you have a spot in your house that you would love a basket or a nice box to hide stuff but you just can't find one that fits just right...or perhaps the one you found is ridiculously expensive and you just can't justify it?  Well, I was in the same boat with our mud room.  My husband and I made a lovely bench for the mudroom (out of an Ikea shelf...I will post this later) but I could not find any boxes to fit in the spaces.  I was using stumpy baskets that were a little too long and didn't hide anything! Please do not look at the crafting mess :)
I have seen on a few blogs, people custom making boxes out of larger ones and I thought this might be my only option. That was until I bought those cardboard style mini pizzas at Costco. I will admit I love the things..just don't tell my husband, he thinks they are for the kids.  So, after I bought these pizzas and I noticed the box they came in fits almost perfectly into the slots in the bench.
 
 So this is how I transformed it to work perfectly.

Materials needed:
Cardboard box
Duct tape
Paint
ModgePodge
Burlap or fabric
Twine or ribbon

Method:
I cut the box to the height I wanted it (remember the fabric will make it higher so cut a little extra off).
 Duct tape the corners of the top flaps, both the inside and the outside, to make them secure.


 
I was going to use burlap to cover this, so I knew the bright colors of the box would show through. I personally love to spray paint but I just found this paint at Home Depot in Heirloom white and through I would give it a try.  I have used this paint in black before and love it but this is the first time I have seen it in other colors.
Put two coats of paint over the entire box. When I was finished painting, I could still see a little of the tape and print through but it didn't matter as the burlap covered it.
  
I started to cover the box on the small sides first. I did this because these sides would not been seen.
I covered one side at a time with ModgePodge and then stuck the fabric down. I put a piece of duct tape on the inside just to hold it while the glue dried.
I did cover the side seams with ModgePodge to ensure they stuck down well.
 I took three pieces of twine and braided them to make a pull.
 
I punched two small holes in the box and inserted the braided twine pull. (You can see the wet Modge Podge on the inside of the box)
And here it is FINISHED!  One down....three more to go.  Let me tell you we will be eating a lot of mini pizzas over the next few weeks :)
 Once I clean up the mudroom and finish a few more of these I will post revised pictures.

What do you think?
Stephanie

30 comments:

  1. Stephanie, that is absolutely fabulous, brilliant, and very inspiring! It looks amazing and it was almost free. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant! I did some custom size boxes that were a lot similar to turn one of my small bookshelves into a dresser =) I love your burlap cover, it looks so professional!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's just genius! I LOVE it!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is really cute! I'd love to do something like this in our bedroom. Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great idea! Great organization and awesome burlap!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great Idea! I've been there too, couldn't find a basket that fit and just gave up.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous idea! I'll keep that in mind...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I was just at the store looking for some boxes for my craft room. Now I will be looking at all the boxes in the house. Great frugal idea. TFS

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my gosh I have done this before too! I am so glad there are people out there that reuse cereall boxes like me! Ha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great idea - I was just at Target today wishing I could justify the cost of a cute box to hold our hats/mittens/scarfs in this winter! I'm off to find a cardboard box - thanks for the idea! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent idea and instructions. It looks GREAT! So much more affordable than matching baskets. I just redid a bunch of storage boxes with decoupaged book pages but I coulda used burlap, too! Very clever.

    ReplyDelete
  12. WOW! I thought you were just going to glue burlap onto an existing drawer :)

    If you get a chance, I'd love for you to stop by and post this on my Not "Baaad" Sundays linky. There is a weekly contest for Best in Show!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I covered a diaper box in burlap once! Didn't think to use modge podge OR the rope pull, though! Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Everything is made cute with burlap. Great idea! Like the handles... it gave it that extra something.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow - those look great! I see myself doing something like this soon for the bookshelves I have in my family room. I bet I can use a diaper box for that! Great Idea!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love this! I'm always on the look out for great projects using stuff around the house. Your drawer rocks.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Fabulous idea and well executed.

    I have a hate on for mod podge, so I may have to find another way to adhere the burlap.

    Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete
  18. genius! I have needed drawers for my mud room but they are so expensive. Thanks for the great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I need baskets under my new day bed! I think this might be the ticket :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I did this last night! OMG we think alike :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Good deal, for sure, lol. I got some boxes from Sams club a few weeks ago, and while I had great visions, of organization in mind, all they have been doing is cluttering my garage. Yeah I need to get to work, and your tutorial is super helpful, thanks. Don't forget I would love to have this linked up to **Amaze me August**, it's perfect. Thanks Bella :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love it! Anything burlap instantly wins me over. I so need to do this to a box holding a bunch of books in my room! It's an old diaper box, so anything to cover that would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Genius! Great way to recycle as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. brilliant! wish I would have thought of that before I bought a bunch of frumpy baskets

    ReplyDelete
  25. Wow!!! You are so creative! I LOVE burlap and its so cheap too!! Great idea and I'm going to do this to my laundry closet!!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips