Thursday, January 27, 2011

Valentine's Day Butterfly Cards

I was on a mission this year to find a way to make our own Valentine cards for my daughter's class without spending as much as buying the name brand box of cards.

I found this idea on Family Fun and adapted it so it was easier and in my opinion far cuter.

I went to the Dollar store and found all the materials I needed for a few dollars.

Foam hearts (or cut paper into hearts)
Pipe cleaners
Glitter glue or other accessories (stickers, sparkle, gem stones etc.)

Place the two hearts to the bottom overlap.

Fold the two end over and cut two slits that are approximately 1/4 inch long. Make sure you go through all layers.

Slip the pencil through the slit. I used glitter pencils that are so cute!

Wrap one pipe cleaner around the top.

Have you child decorate the butterfly. My daughter decided to decorate these with glitter glue.

When dry, flip over and write with a ball point pen your message. I wrote "You make my heart flutter" since I made a butterfly out of hearts.

My daughter is making these for all the girls in her class all by herself and loving it!

I will post what we make for the boys soon.


  1. This IS very cute. I am interested in seeing what you will make for the boys. I work with more boys than girls, for some reason, and might use this for one of my projects with the girls.

  2. Stopping by from Thrifty Decor Chick - what a cute idea!

  3. This really is a clever idea. Loved how you adapted it and made it your own. Stopping by from Thrify Chick to say hi.

  4. love this ..might do this myself! i am your newest follower!

  5. Visiting from TDC also. I really like this and will make it with my twins to take to preschool. I already have the pencils and foam from the Dollar Tree.

    Thanks for sharing!

  6. Those are so cute! Kids love getting pencils, too. Can't wait to see what you have in store for the boys!

  7. Very cute! Thanks for linking up to Mad Skills Monday!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips