Glass Etching - Very Simple Project with Amazing Results

I have to admit this is the first time I have ever etched glass...and I am officially addicted. Have you ever used this stuff?!? It is a little pricey for the etching cream but with a 40% off coupon at Michaels, I could justify it. Thankfully my husband was with me and he convinced me to buy the bigger bottle instead of the itty bitty one that would only do a couple of projects.
I bought a vase at Ikea ($6) along with some rocks and bamboo. I will share the rock and bamboo project with you soon. I share this only so you know why I spent full price on a vase when I could have got one at a thrift store for next to nothing.

I cut out a 3x3inch piece of vinyl  with my Cricut (you could easily used contact paper for this too but I had a scrap vinyl that size) using the K monogram SVG files from My Vinyl Designer (K monogram I used ). I have used these monograms for so many project and they have worked great every time.

If you don't have a Cricut or Silhouette, you can still do this. You can:
  • design and cut an image out, by hand, using painters tape or contact paper
  • use hot glue to make a design and etch around it
  • use sticker letters or dots
  • use stencils adhered with spray adhesive
I wanted a reverse image etched so I removed only the vinyl that I wanted to become etched glass. If you look at the image, the black will not be etched.


Using painters tape, I removed the vinyl image from the backing.

After measuring over and over again, I finally place the vinyl on the glass and removed the painters tape. I should have given a little extra room on the top of the image in case the etching cream creeps over the edges..but I didn't. So I added one row of painters tape. Be sure to remove all bubbles around the edges of the vinyl. If there are any bubbles, the etching cream will seep under the vinyl and you will not get a crisp line.

For some mysterious reason, the etching cream sold here in Canada is full of warnings and lovely danger symbols...but contains absolutely no instructions on how to use this wonderful product! I guess warnings are more important than telling someone how to use it :) As a result of not knowing how to use it, I watched a few (dozen) videos on this product and there seemed to be a lot of different ideas as to how it should be applied, how much, and how long it should stay on.


So armed with all the knowledge I could find on YouTube, I applied the Armour Etch cream with a foam brush. It seemed the people who applied it sparingly did not get a great result, so I applied A LOT of etching cream. Trust me, do this.
Then the next debate was how long to leave it on. There were four different times that people said to leave it for: 1 minute, 5 minutes, 15 minutes or 20 minutes. I decided on the 15 minutes and it worked great!
I wiped the large amounts off with paper towels and then rinsed the excess off with lots of water in my laundry sink.
I then removed the vinyl and squealed with joy at how it was looking.
Amazing! It is a little hard to see in the photos but it looks fantastic.

Just imagine what can be etched. I can etch coasters, glass plates (with cookies on them), vases, apothecary jars, mirrors, clear mugs...oh the possibilities are endless.Think about the gift ideas! My family might be getting these along with the Marble tiles.
Have you ever used this stuff? If not, run out to Michael's or Joanne's (with a coupon in hand) and grab some. You will not be disappointed.

Happy Etching,

Stephanie

Here is what I am planning already:
  • Glass plates etched with homemade cookies on them
  • My friend's company logo on clear mugs and coasters
  • Apothecary jars with my initials on them 
  • Beer steins for my brother and husband

Comments

  1. FYI - here in the states, Joanne's doesn't carry the Armor Etch, but I was able to find it at Michael's.

    I just did my first glass etching project yesterday, and I too am totally hooked!! I will post pics to my blog (coolcraftychick.tumblr.com) shortly. What I etched is for a gift, so I must give it first before posting. I don't want to give away the surprise!

    Happy etching!! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scoop up the extra etching cream that hasn't dried and put it back in the bottle. It is reusable!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another fun thing to etch and it looks awesome is the glass in photo frames.You can put the date,friends,anniversay,family,so many sentiments to describe the photo without taking away from the photo!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. love it! So many possiblities!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Stephanie, You must have lots of fun. Your blog is fascinating. I would have loved to have been one of yor children's teachers!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omg! I stumbled upon by this blog, actually I want to have this kind of stuff "etched glass" made by my image it seems so fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Came across your site and curious about the cream.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's actually a cool and helpful piece of information. I'm satisfied that you simply
    shared this helpful info with us. Please stay us informed like this.
    Thank you for sharing.

    Here is my web site; calgary mortgage broker reviews

    ReplyDelete
  9. All the contents you mentioned in post is too good and can be very useful. I will keep it in mind, thanks for sharing the information keep updating, looking forward for more posts.Thanks
    window and door replacement company

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is awesome. What a talent! Love those simple yet unique and stylish font on the glass. Such a simple yet amazing. Keep posting.

    St Peterburg, FL windows

    ReplyDelete
  11. Like you I was curious... I made 24 Halloween candy dishes from stemless red wine glasses bought at Dollar Tree. Once emptied they made really cute votive candle holders.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Twitter Tweet Generator You can make fake twitter tweets in any creative way you like. Upload profile picture, select username, write message, change date and many more cool settings. Build your own fake twitter tweet now. Create Tweet.

    ReplyDelete
  13. You have a great blog here! would you like to make some invite posts on my blog?

    Vingle.net
    Information
    Click Here

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts