Saturday, December 8, 2012

DIY Eucalyptus Yoga Mat Cleaner/Freshener - Easy Gifts Ideas on a Budget (Part 6)

I decided, at the last minute, to add this Eucalyptus yoga mash freshener for my sister and sister-in-law's spa basket. I know it isn't a perfect fit with bath salts etc., but if you have ever had a smelly yoga mat before, you might appreciate this. Both my sister's love yoga and I thought this might be well liked. Plus, it took no effort and I had all the ingredients on hand... both are great things when making gifts!

In case you are new to this series, here is my running list of spa related items I making (and sharing with you):
If you have not heard of Yoga Mat cleaners/fresheners, well all they really are is a spray that has antibacterial qualities(since eucalyptus is antibacterial) that freshen and clean your yoga mat. You simple give you mat a spritz and wipe it down. You can use other essential oils that are also antibacterial for this recipe; I have hear lavender is antibacterial as well, but I really wanted to use eucalyptus for this one. 

I have seen these little spray bottle being sold for around $10 at a local yoga studio. I am not sure the ingredients in those ones, but mine cost my around $0.50 to make and I know they don't have any chemicals. Perfect!

Materials Needed:

  • 6 tablespoons Vinegar
  • 2 tablespoon Distilled Water
  • 20-30 drops Eucalyptus essential oil (or lavender)
  • Small spray bottle (My bottle was in a travel pack of 3 from the Dollar store)
Note: If you want to do a large batch of this,  you can use the recipe as 3 parts vinegar to 1 part water and add essential oil to your personal preference.
Mix the vinegar and essential oil together in the little spray bottle. Add the distilled water and you are done!
To clean your mat:
  1. Spray the cleaner liberally over the surface of your mat.
  2. Wipe with a damp cloth or sponge.
  3. When the cleaner has been removed, 'buff' the mat with a soft dry cloth.
  4. Repeat on the other side.
  5. Allow your mat to air dry.

Has anyone ever used a yoga mat spray like this before? Have you ever made your own?

Merry Christmas everyone.


  1. Love this whole series. Thanks for the wonderful recipes.

  2. This is a great post! I have never thought to clean my yoga mat before--other than with a baby wipe or wet towel. Thanks for the idea! Have a great weekend.

  3. I love lavender! Thank you for taking the time to share your recipes. :)

  4. Thanks for an concept, you sparked at thought from a angle I hadn’t given thoguht
    to yet. Now lets see if I can do something with it.

    Here is my site: Why am i not getting pregnant

  5. Good day! This is my 1st comment here so I just wanted to give a quick shout out and tell you I really enjoy reading through your blog posts.
    Can you suggest any other blogs/websites/forums that deal with
    the same subjects? Thanks!

    Here is my weblog tv products

  6. Should there be another persuasive post you can share next time, I’ll be surely waiting for it.

  7. Oh this is so perfect, I am the same, after doing Yoga  for so long, a day without movement just feels wrong. Definitely going to start incorporating this into my morning routine.

  8. hi! Thanks for the advices. Currently I am struggling the problem with my manduka mat. I think that I overexposed it to the sun and now half of the mat it’s extremely sticky like some glue came out and my feet and body glue to the mat. I really don’t know how to deal with it. I clean with water and it’s still the same. I also try to clean with sunflower oil but nothing works. Please advice if anybody has any solution.

    Best regards! Purley Carpet Cleaners Ltd.

  9. Great recipe! I am going to try it next time when I have to clean my yoga mat. I admit I don`t clean it very often. I have a question. Is it possible instead of Eucalyptus essential oil to add lemon or orange? Thank you for sharing this article.Greetings!



Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips