Drum roll please...I made my own drum lamp

When we purchased our house it had all of its original builder grade materials still in place, including all the builder lights. We thought most of the lights were funny because they were perfect replicas of an upside down mushroom. We tried to replaced the majority as soon as we moved in but others, like the spare bedroom and closets, remained as reminders of what the entire house looked like.
Here is one of the mushroom lights from when we bought:

 I have seen all over the blogging world people making their own drum lamps out of various materials and thought this would be a great idea for our spare bedroom. I was at Habitat for Humanity's restore a while back and they had a beautiful golden chandelier for sale. It kills me to say this but it is just like the one I had donated to Habitat a year ago when we replaced our other lights. So I had to buy back almost the exact same light that I had already donated. Proves that I should not throw anything away...just kidding.

This is what I purchased:
 I easily took it apart by removing a few screws. I donated back to Habitat the beautiful glass cover since all I wanted was the light base.
I taped all the vital parts and ventured off to the garage to paint the gold metal with oil rubbed bronze spray paint. I also spray painted the plastic covers at the base of the bulbs white. I don't think they were suppose to be the horrible tan color.


Once everything was dry, I reassembled the lamp but replaced the glass with a new and inexpensive drum shade I purchased at Walmart.
For those of you wondering how the shade is sitting on the candelier, this is what the top of the drum shade looked like.
The drum shade has a small opening on the top that I threaded the wires through and sat it on top of the chandelier post.
I then reassembled the chandelier the same way it came apart. So the decorative bolt (with the loop attached to the hanging chain) was just screwed back on top of the chandelier post thus securing the shade.

Really easy and not too expensive.
 
 
I purchased the brass chandelier from Habitat for Humanities ReStore for $7.50 (it was on sale for 1/2 the ticketed price) and the drum lamp shade from Walmart for $14. I had the Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint on hand (of course). So the grand total for my home made spare bedroom chandelier was $21.50. Not bad.

I debate whether or not to spice it up a bit with a little ribbon around the top and base of the shade. Or perhaps put some vinyl flowers on the inside of the shade, so when the light it on you see the shapes through. What do you think?

Have you created your own chandelier/lights before by piecing various items together?

Stephanie
Linking to some great parties including: Story of A2Z

Comments

  1. Awesome job!! This is such a fantastic upgrade from the light before and no one would guess it wasn't a really expensive light!!

    Looks fantastic :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so nice!! I have done that in our family room, but but a drum-type shade at Ikea. It wasn't a chandlier, just a light but I pieced things together to make it work, too! Love HH!

    Becky B.
    www.organizingmadefun.com
    Organizing Made Fun

    ReplyDelete
  3. OK, I must be a doofus, but how does the shade attach to the rod? I don't see any supports for the shade to fit on, so suspect there's something I'm just not "getting" or seeing. It looks great, BTW. (For some reason, I have to post as Anonymous because it continually loops when I try to sign in to my Google acct.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks beautiful! Great thinking/great job;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Having a problem posting! :( Just wrote this long post and it kept looping me around just like the above poster! :( Don't know whats going on, but anyway, new follower from Mad Skills and I love your project. I'm about to do the same thing. I think you should keep it just like it is! :) It looks great! www.lululanedesigns.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so pretty! What a great idea! I can't believe you made it yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful! Following from Sumo‘s Sweet Stuff link party. Would love to have you link this up to my {wow me} wednesday link party going on right now over on my blog. Hope to see you there.

    Ginger
    gingersnapcrafts.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm a new reader and fellow Canadian -- love this!

    Jenny
    www.simcoestreet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just came across your blog and I had a very similar light in my kitchen and replaced it with a new $180.00 fixture. If I would have seen this post I could have saved myself some money. I love it! I am going to follow your directions for redoing door knobs, what a great idea. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  10. Super awesome idea! I am SO pinning this and I'm going to give it a shot!
    -Sarah from Create Studio
    createstudio.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow this is so smart. I just found your blog via a link on Pinterest and I'll definitely be bookmarking it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Inspired by your light - I did this same treatment to our old entryway light that we had replaced as soon as we moved in. I'm going to give it to my sister. I had a little trouble finding a shade with the framing at the top - Big Lots had some for a good price.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just came across your blog and I had a very similar light in my kitchen and replaced it with a new $180.00 fixture. If I would have seen this post I could have saved myself some money. I am going to follow your directions for redoing door knobs, what a great idea. Thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love it. I recently featured http://decoratingcents.blogspot.com/2011/11/trends-drum-chandeliers.html. Please come by and grab a button.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This site truly has all the information and facts I needed concerning this subject and didn’t know who to ask
    http://mchaabaty.com/pictures/
    http://mchaabaty.com/luxurious/
    http://mchaabaty.com/red-bricks/
    https://decor-ksa.com/

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cleaning company Khamis Mushait
    Every woman suffers from the daily cleaning of her home but she may not get the perfect cleanliness she wants. So a cleaning company in the mother of sahk offers my lady the perfect solution to clean your house or villa without bothering you and the desired cleaning. Efficiency, and through our company you can get the floors of a bright and neat house and clean water tanks and walls are very clean while preserving the colors, and also the marble and marble all this and more found in شركة تنظيف فلل بخميس مشيط

    ReplyDelete
  17. www.bolavita.site Agen J-u-d-i Online Bagi FreeChip Sebesar 2 Juta Rupiah !

    Freechip Sebesar 2 Juta dari Agen Bolavita adalah menyambut Hari ulang tahun yang ke-6 !

    Langsung saja daftar diri kamu sekarang juga di Agen Bolavita !

    Daftar dan Klaim Bonus Kamu sekarang juga !
    Informasi selengkapnya hubungi :
    WA : +62812-2222-995
    BBM : BOLAVITA
    Line : cs_bolavita
    WeChat : BOLAVITA

    Aplikasi Live Chat Playstore / App Store : BOLAVITA Sabung Ayam

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts