Thursday, February 10, 2011

Personalized Children's Canvas Name Wall Art

I have said it before and I will say it again...I am not artistic! I cannot paint or draw anything! But I love those personalized canvases that people buy for their kids. I thought "how hard could they be to make?"   Well for a person who cannot draw a flower without my kids asking what it is...painting my kids names on canvas is not easy! So I created a work around; a wonderful skill from my other life as a project manager.

To make the personalized kids wall art, I purchased the blank canvas at the Dollar Store and used my large collection of Sharpie markers to create the design. For those of you who do not have a wide range of sharpie colors, run to Costco, Walmart, Sams Club etc. and get them! They are great for touching up furniture that has been dinged by the kids and even more useful for crafts.  Sorry, I digressed there from the purpose of my post :)

You can paint the entire canvas with dollar store paint if you like but I wanted my daughter's to be white since her room is bubble gum pink. I decided on using black, bright pink and lime green as the main colors.

 I drew an oval where I wanted the name to appear and then using a good metal ruler, I made black lines of various thicknesses. I filled in between the lines with the colors I selected.

Once done, I glued ribbon around the outside of the canvas to hide the staples and then glued ribbon on the back to hang it from.
 
 Total cost $1 since I had everything else on hand. If you look closely it isn't perfect, but it is a million time better than I could have painted and at least $30 cheaper than buying one! So I am happy with it.

I have made these for some of my nieces and nephews too. They are quick, easy and cheap! Three of the main criteria for home made gifts!

What do you think?

 Stephanie

10 comments:

  1. Thhis is adorable! I'm going to use this as a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it!!! Great Idea! Any quotes would work too! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Greetings from Southern California :-)

    I added myself to follow your blog. You are more than welcome to visit mine and become a follower if you want to.

    God Bless You, ~Ron

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is cute and it looks so simple. I have tons of BIC permanent markers. This would even be great as a baby present if you knew what the name was going to be ahead of time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So pretty! It is such a cool. Those are adorable. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. A brillant idea xx thank you

    ReplyDelete
  7. I must have to take your blog as my primary blog for reading as there are so many new things to getting more and more true information.
    name-art

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Blogging tips